In an attempt to eat clean and healthy, we are always looking for a new recipe to try. My MIL brought home a recipe for Chicken Pizza that is Gluten free – where the chicken in the crust! We have some gluten-free people in our life, so we are trying to incorporate that into our daily arsenal.
It is from a website called Your Lighter Side that we were just introduced to – it is the first thing we are trying out but a lot of the desserts looks really good. We made a few adjustments to the original recipe, one taking out the mozzarella and replacing it with flax and an egg. We were just trying to cut down on the dairy.
Here is what you will need: 1.5 cups minced cooked chicken breast, parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp parsley, 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 cup flax seed meal, 1 egg, pizza sauce, whatever pizza toppings you would want on top of your pizza
What you will do:
- Mix your chicken, egg and flax seed meal together in a bowl. (We used canned chicken for the convenience of it tonight, but boiling some chicken breast would probably be even better)
- Pre-Heat oven to 375
- Mix in Parsley, onion powder, garlic powder and a touch of salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Spray the dish (we used a 9×11 glass baking dish) and press the chicken mixture in evenly throughout the bottom of the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. (for next time we *may* broil it for a min before we move on to the next step)
- Pull the chicken out, cover in pizza sauce (obviously homemade is best here, or at least watch for added sugar) and add your favorite toppings. We covered the whole thing with shredded onions, green and yellow peppers. Then each person did the rest of the toppings they wanted. (i.e. Spinach, mushrooms, black olives and chicken sausage.
- Bake for 10 minutes, add parmesan cheese lightly on top and bake for another 10 minutes. Right before we pulled it out, we put it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to get it a bit browned on top.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then serve!
We all really enjoyed it tonight – the whole thing was gone! My official review of this recipe is that it isn’t REALLY pizza, but more like a chicken casserole but I really enjoyed it none the less. I might keep trying to tweak the “crust” to see if we can get it a little more crust-like. We look forward to trying new toppings and fine tuning this recipe!
Let me know if you try it and what changes YOU make to it!